Friday, June 27, 2008

What a day! no pictures to back up this story- thank goodness!

Whew! I'm worn out.... today was a bad day! Granny and I took the boys for their preschool physical and shots at the dr's office today. It was bad from the start. We had an appointment at 10:00 in Hopkinsville, so we needed 30 minutes to load up and get there. At 9 I was trying to wake the boys up. At 9:15 Jake was awake. At 9:20 I finally got Josh up and he promptly turned on the video games and told me he'd get ready as soon as he finished his race (didn't happen for him). Granny was trying to get them dressed and I was rustling them back into the room and away from the video games. Chaos already!

We got there somehow, right at 10:00 and I dropped them off and went to park. I got parked and treked across back to the place I dropped them off and there they were still in the parking lot. Granny had been trying to get them in and they were freaking out. We had to drag them into the elevator. Oddly enough the waiting room was a good experience- the best of the day unfortunately.

they freaked out when they were told to take off their shoes and stand to get measured, we had to physically remove their shoes and push them against the wall- the scale wasn't too bad. they are exactly the same height and about half a pound difference in weight- same as when they were born and the way they have been every time they have been checked.

on to more fun stuff..... the hearing test. They put headphones on the boys one at a time. They both did exactly the same thing. The girl running the test would punch buttons, turn knobs and tell them to let her know when they heard something. They just sat there. When she asked if they heard something they would say yes, and tell her what they heard. She'd start over at a lower level and she finally just started asking if they heard something- luckily they weren't declared to be deaf at the end of this test, maybe just hard headed! ;)

on to the room... they got their blood pressure checked and thought that was fun then she left and told us to undress them before nurse Betty came in. sounds easy enough right?! They went into full panic mode and lost it! Bright red faces, tears, screeching, crying... it was unbelievable! They were holding onto their clothes with one hand and fighting us off with the other. By the end of this Jake still proudly wore his shirt and Granny and I were exhausted! I even called Frank at work to hear the noise going on during this fiasco- he thought we were beating them and I explained we were just taking their clothes off. He later told me he put us on speaker phone at work- people probably thought they were listening to a crime in progress!!!

then the nurse comes in and they are still mad about being undressed. Josh fights her off when she wants to use a tongue depressor in his mouth. I finally restrained him and she got to take a quick peek. Jake did better at this but told her he'd hold his mouth open for her to keep the stick away. At this point they are clinging to us like wild animals- I'm wishing I hadn't worn a v-neck shirt because they have stretched it until all of Hopkinsville is getting quite a show but I'm too busy wrestling with them to care. Josh claims the nurse hurt him when she was checking his reflexes and he wants to "get out of here, get out of this bad place now, just go!" We were able to get them dressed which went way smoother than the undressing earlier. Nurse Betty tells us they will be right in with the shots..... you can imagine the reaction that got!

They were crazy while waiting, then we got them settled a bit, still tears, red faces and now we have added runny noses due to hysteria to the list of fun we have going. 35 minutes later- yes 35 minutes!!!! another nurse comes in and I tell her that we've been waiting 35 minutes since Betty said they would be right in and that is too long to leave 4 year olds waiting, stressing over shots. I'm sure she was just thrilled and could also not care less at the same time. Anyway, when she put the charts down she had 8 shots laying on top of them and asked who was first- great way to make friends with a 4 year old who has at this point been in the doctor's office over two hours! I finally got Jake on the table, screaming and crying and clinging to me as he's about to meet certain death. Two shots in each arm and finally he is done. Josh watched that take place and didn't plan to go down so easily! He launched into a fit of twisting, turning, screaming and crying that has never been seen before and hopefully never will again. He was screeching- "don't do that to me I'm not going to let you do it!" It was awful. It took myself and two nurses to get his shots done. I don't think they believed me when I told them these were the same children who took their flu shots, never made a sound and then said how it was no big deal! On the way out Josh told them we were never coming back there again. lol!

I've never worked so hard for two pieces of paper- a physical and a shot record- in my whole life! Granny and I were both worn out after it was all over with.

I saw another nurse from the office when we stopped for gas on the way home and I apologized for our visit today and she told me that they were used to that and she said I should have seen the 16 year old that got shots today too- she said it took 3 people and he was screaming as bad as both of the boys put together.... so I guess that is a silver lining that we weren't the worst patients of the day???? I sure hope it is not a sign of things to come! lol!

oh and Nurse Betty said it was ok to go ahead and start taking them to the dentist now if we wanted too..... yeah, I'll get right on that. Sign me up for some valium first! LOL!

1 comment:

Kiesha said...

WOW! What a day you guys had!
For some reason Ruben has never liked getting on the scale or letting them measure him.

We have never had to hold Ruben down for the doctor or shots. But Marissa, of course, is another story. It takes 4 people to hold that child down anytime she goes to the doctor for anything!
I always leave the doctor with her needing a drink. lol

I can't even imagine having to deal with two like that at the doctor.

I did take both kids to the dentist about two weeks ago. NEVER AGAIN. While Ruben did good Marissa of course did not. She will not be going back until all of her baby teeth fall out lol

I don't suggest you take the boys to the dentist unless you are fully loaded on valium. LOL